Yuva Gati (‘Youth Movement’) was launched in January 2009 in partnership with FABRIC as the national South Asian dance strand of the CAT (Centre for Advanced Training) programme.
The programme provides intensive dance training that includes, but is not limited to styles such as Bharatanatyam, Kathak, Bhangra, Bollywood, Kandyan, Nepalese, plus more. Applications to join Yuva Gati are open to all young people aged 11 to 18 across the UK. All levels of experience within South Asian dance practices are invited to apply.
CAT is looking for talented young people aged 11-18 with enthusiasm, potential and commitment to training. Previous dance experience is not necessary.
Auditions are taking place on the Saturday 8 July – apply here
The programme enables talented dancers to fulfil their potential, make informed choices about their future involvement in dance and equip themselves with the necessary skills for professional dance training and/or further education.
Our Yuva Gati Team is led by Shane Shambhu with an incredible team of professional artists Mira Balachandran Gokul, Anuradha Chaturvedi Seth, Divya Ravi and Parbati Chaudhury along with a wide variety of nationally and internationally recognised guest artists and tutors. Through building a supportive and nurturing learning environment young talent will focus and grow through the primary aspects of the Yuva Gati programme:
- Body Knowledge: Anatomy & Body Conditioning
- Music Knowledge: Ragam, Talam & Composition
- Abhinaya & Poetry: Facial, Gestural & Textual Clarity (Stemming from Emotions)
- Nritta & Stamina: Technique & Performance Enhancement
- Design & Production: Understanding Performance
- Creative Development: Creative & Independent Thinking
- Repertoire: Application of Training
Development in these key areas raises the quality of dancing and performance ability of participants and extends to their everyday lives and education by:
- Building discipline and rigour through a deepened understanding of their artform
- Improving physical well-being through heightened body awareness
- Strengthening determination and will-power through a sense of accomplishment
- Boosting confidence through performance opportunities
What Students Say
“CADT has opened up the world of dance for me, and allowed me to see myself in it!”Iona, Dance Generation Student